Shiloh Apostolic Temple History
God gave our founding pastor, the late Bishop James R. Ziglar, the vision to go to Ridgeway, VA, to start a church. At that time, Bishop Ziglar was serving as assistant pastor at the Mt. Sinai Church in Martinsville, VA, under the leadership of the late Bishop J. C. Richardson, Sr. Giving heed to God, Bishop Ziglar was led to the Soapstone area of Ridgeway, and Shiloh Apostolic Temple was established in October, 1955.
The first Sunday service that Bishop Ziglar conducted had as its congregation, his wife, the late Sis. Ophelia Ziglar, and daughters, Delores, Dorothy, Joanne, and Linda. The following Sunday, they were joined by the late Sis. Irene Wilson and her two sons, Paul and Randolph. Sis. Wilson became the first member on that Sunday.
The first Sunday in November, 1955, Bishop Ziglar baptized two new members, Sis. Ella G. Dalton and the late Sis. Annie J. Carter. On the next Sunday, three more members were baptized: Deacon James Carter, Sister Ruth Hairston, and the late Brother Dollar Bill Galloway. Our membership tripled because the new member brought their children with them.
In October 1956, we were able to purchase land in the Summit Ridge area of Ridgeway on Sunrise Avenue. We were granted a building permit by the Town of Ridgeway on July 1, 1957 for the construction of our new brick edifice. Our dedicatory service was conducted by the late Bishop J. C. Richardson, Sr. and the Mt. Sinai Apostle Church. The ribbon was cut by then Ridgeway mayor, the late Dr. Robert Mason. Since that time, we have gone through several remodeling and renovation projects which included the enlarging of the church building, as well as, the fellowship hall and office area. In 1990, the street name, Sunrise Avenue, was changed to Shiloh Hills Road.
We have watched our church family grow over the years. Our membership still includes several generations of our founding and pioneer families.
We were blessed to have our founding pastor, Bishop Ziglar, for forty-five years. It was under his leadership, service and devotion to our church, that we were involved in different church ministries, active in civic, government, and community activities. Bishop Ziglar, a strong preacher and teacher of God's word, was known as a man of faith. He was an advocate of education, family life, and brotherly love. Bishop not only served as our pastor, but he was also the presiding bishop of the United Churches of Jesus, Apostolic for many years. On Monday, November 29, 1999, our church suffered a tremendous loss. Bishop Ziglar went home to be with the Lord.
After a year of mourning, Elder Darrell J. Hairston became our second pastor. He was the nephew of Bishop and Mother Ziglar and had been a member of our church family since childhood. He previously served as our assistant pastor under Bishop Ziglar for over twenty years. Elder James F. Millner, the grandson of Bishop and Mother Ziglar, became our assistant pastor. Under Elder Hairston's pastoral leadership, our involvement in different ministries expanded. This included a radio broadcast on radio station WILA, Danville, VA and radio station WMVA, Martinsville, VA, and a television broadcast on UPN Station WDRL, Roanoke to further expand our outreach ministry. Elder Hairston was ordained and elevated to the office of bishop. He served our church as a devoted and loyal pastor. It was his goal to merge Bishop's vision with his vision for Shiloh and carry on his legacy. Our church continued to grow.
On Wednesday, October 15, 2008 Shiloh suffered another great loss, the passing of our founding mother, Mother Ophelia Ziglar, a great woman of faith. Mother Ziglar always served as a great inspiration for our church.
Bishop Hairston served as our pastor until December, 2008. After eight years of faithful service as pastor, he was inspired by God to continue his work for the Lord in Charlotte, NC where he and his family reside.
On Saturday, December 20, 2008 Elder James F. Millner was installed as our third pastor. Elder Millner has been a member of Shiloh all of his life. The installation message and ceremony was conducted by Bishop Hairston as he passed the torch to Elder Millner. Since starting his pastoral duties, Elder Millner has further expanded our church ministries. He has completed another renovation and our church membership is still growing. Elder Millner's vision will further enhance the legacy of our founding pastor, Bishop Ziglar.
60 Shiloh Hills Road
Ridgeway, VA 24148
10:30 Sunday School
11:30 Morning Service
7:30 Prayer and Bible Study